Today I want to encourage you to start running (jogging?¿) by explaining my own experience. I’ve never been a crazy sporty person, I like to do some sport but just when I feel like I really want to do it, and that’s not every single day. I like to swim, walk, run, ski and sail (you can see here that team sports are not my thing).
Since I was a little girl I’ve lived in a healthy and sporty enviroment. My dad and my brother love to do sport and even though is not my passion, I’ve learned to love it as well. I started running five or six years ago and I admit that I haven’t been consistent all that time but neither I’ve left it.
During all this years my running rutine has changed so much. At the beginning I would go with my dad (he encouraged me to start) and then I convinced my friends to do the same. We would go after school or on a Sunday morning and we had a lot of fun together.
Things changed when we started going to university, we all had different schedules and that rutine started to be inconsistent and finally we all went our separate way. This is the time when I had to decide whether I’d like to run alone or basically not run at all. I was a bit scared and ashamed (I didn’t want to find anyone known while I was running) but after thinking a little bit I realised that there’s no point in being ashamed for doing sport, so I kept on running.
I like to run through the streets and going to parks. I’ve never been a gym girl. I don’t like the feeling of being trapped in a gym nor the smell of it. I like to feel the fresh air flow into my lungs and caress my cheeks. So, yes, going to the gym having the fresh air outside is not even an option for me (besides the money that costs).
So here I’ve made some lists (please notice that I’m no expert by any means, I’m just explaining my experience and the tips that worked for me).
Tips to START running:
– It’s all mental. If you think you can, then you will. It’s not easy at first, the first two or three months are going to be hard. Train your brain, plan a routine and stick with it. Start with 20 to 30 minutes and then go on increasing the time as you feel comfortable with it.
– Find your route. You need to feel comfortable with the route you are taking, if it’s too much, then try to find another one. I found one perfect for me and I love it because I know exactly how long I’ll be running.
– Take a break. I am not all the time running, once in a while I stop and start walking until I feel like I want to run again (2 to 5 min.)
– Stretch your muscles before and after. It’s important in order to prevent injuries.
– Enjoy. This is the best part, and the one that only can be noticed over the time. I personally don’t like to run with music, I like to listen to my breath and it’s the best time for me to think. As son as I start running my brain starts an inner monologue. But there’s people who needs their music to motivate themselves. You’ll have to find what works better for you.
Some REASONS why you should start running:
– To get healthy and fit. You don’t need a ton of sport, two or three times a week is enough to live longer and prevent disease.
– To feel better with yourself and your body. It’s going to be hard but when you’ll arrive at home, after the shower. Believe me, then it’s all going to be worthy.
– To have more energy and be more positive.
– To discover new places and discover views like this ones that I found the other day while I was running.
After this, you cannot tell me that is not worthy. Hope this has helped you to get motivated.
Let me know if you would like more posts like this.
P.S: Yes, I went running with my camera and WOAH that was hard, but I really wanted to do this post.